Dance lessons can be an awesome way to encourage your child’s personal growth! At Studio 56 Dance Center, we’re not just teaching dance steps in our classrooms—we’re developing curious, compassionate young leaders and equipping them for success.
We know that it can be a challenge sometimes to know what to do to offer support and encouragement for your dancer—especially if you are still new to the world of dance! Here are four of our best tips for making the most out of your child’s class experience at Studio 56 Dance Center:
- Talk about dance at home
- Although many of our young dancers take just one or two classes per week, dance is usually on their minds every day! Read dance books together or listen to music and try some dance moves in the living room. This helps keep your child’s mind engaged about dance in an extra-fun way—because they can share it with you!
- Ask your child to teach you what they are learning
- Since dance lessons are built on structure and repetition, teaching someone else can be a fun way to practice. Even if your child is still working on remembering their steps, this can help exercise their memory! (Plus, it can be pretty cute.)
- Find out what your child likes best about class, or what they find challenging
- Gain insight into what your child loves about dance—and what they think is hard—by asking them about their class. Do they have a favorite step? Have they made some new friends? What do they like about their teacher? These answers can help you understand what your child’s experience is like.
- Voice your support
- The way you praise your child can be very useful in helping them get the most out of dance class! Use phrases like, “I love watching you dance!” or “I can tell you’ve been working hard.” or “Did you try your best? That’s what’s most important.” Your child’s confidence and enthusiasm will continue to grow with this kind of encouragement at home and at class.
We hope these four tips come in handy as your child progresses through our dance season and of course, we’re always happy to help with any class curriculum or programming questions you might have. We’re so thankful you’ve chosen Studio 56 Dance Center for your child’s education in dance!