SAFER STUDIO GUIDELINES
Thank you for following the guidelines and helping us remain a Safer Studio. Parents, thank you for keeping kids home if they are not well, and for your enhanced efforts to practice good hygiene. As we are going into regular cold and flu season, it is important that we continue our combined efforts to follow these guidelines. Please continue to monitor your children and do not send them to class if they have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose, etc. Sending a child with symptoms to class in a mask is not an acceptable solution. Please keep children home when they are sick. We appreciate your enhanced awareness and efforts in keeping our students and faculty healthy.
HELPFUL CLASS REMINDERS
- Please have your student use the restroom before class, especially our preschooler-aged students!
- No underwear under your leotard. Tights are dancers’ underwear! They have a gusset just like underwear! Lots of layers make for an uncomfortable dancer.
- LATE! We have had a lot of latecomers and late pick-ups. It is very disruptive to our classes when you walk in late, not to mention unsafe for dancers to miss warming up. Late pick-ups are preventing our next classes from starting on time. Thanks for your attention to this manner!
IT’S NEW STYLE NOVEMBER
This month we are opening up our trial program to our currently enrolled students to offer you the option to try another style of class with us. Have you been thinking about trying Hip Hop or Tumbling? We would love to see you in the class! CLICK HERE to join us for a complimentary class in a different style this month!
CONCERT INSTALLMENTS START NOV 1
Dance is the ultimate performing art, and dancing onstage at the recital serves as a powerful tool for building a child’s confidence in themselves—a confidence that easily carries over into a dancer’s home life, schoolwork, and friendships. So how can one special event create such a big difference? Read all about the benefits of the concert HERE.
When starting class this season, you submitted the waiver that included details about our June Concert. All students are automatically enrolled to participate in the year-end concert and/or the tumble exhibition.
- The automatic performance deposit of $75 for dancers or $45 for tumblers only processed on Oct 16.
- Installment amounts will be processed with tuition from November-June.
- To see your child’s participation schedule, go to your parent portal HERE.
- Select “View All My Classes” in the top left navigation.
- Your child’s registration for events in which they are participating will show up there.
If you have not submitted your form, you can do that here: https://app.hellosign.com/s/4JWOHLlX
If you need to review the information, the parent guide includes all performance details.
NOV 4 | PARENTS NIGHT OUT
We have SO MUCH fun at our event called Parent’s Night Out! Mark your calendar for your NOVEMBER DATE NIGHT and we will take the kids…Friday, November 4th from 6-10 pm @ our West Murray Studio!! We have lots of fun activities planned for the kids and you can enjoy a night out child-free! Only $25 per child ages 3 and up (must be potty trained). We will be serving Pizza @ 6:30 pm.
NOV 7-11: FUN BUN WEEK
Come to class with a fun bun (Boys & short hair can do crazy hair). Turn that bun into a masterpiece… Maybe it’s a spider or a one-eyed monster!! We can’t wait to see your creations!
NOV 13: GIFT CARD FUNDRAISER STARTS
Our Winter Fundraiser starts Monday, November 13, and will be due Monday, Nov 28 by 6 pm. Studio fundraisers are a great way to help pay for tuition and performance expenses! An email will be coming your way soon.
STARS CLASSES- EARN YOUR “DRESSED TO IMPRESS” PIN FOR PROPER ATTIRE
Starting last month, STAR students will earn a sticker on their chart each week for having their hair in a proper bun for class along with proper attire of tights and their leotard. Once they fill up their whole row of stickers, they will earn their “Dressed to Impress” pin!
To earn a pin your dancer must:
- Have her hair in a secure ballet bun (not a doorknob bun)
- Use a hairnet
- Use bobby pins to secure bun
WHY DOES MY SCHOOL-AGE DANCER NEED TO WEAR A BUN?
- MUSCLE MEMORY: Does your child have bangs or pieces of hair falling down in the face? How about little frizzies tickling their shoulders? In the middle of a combination or rehearsal, they may reach up and brush their hair out of their way. When a dancer does this all the time, after a specific step, or in a rehearsal, it becomes muscle memory, and they will continue to “brush their hair away” onstage, even if it is slicked back and pinned up!
- TURNING TROUBLE: It’s a problem for turns. For ponytails, dancers tend to wince or close their eyes when they spot, or whip their head around. You cannot turn without spotting your head, and you definitely can’t turn with your eyes closed. This is legitimately a safety hazard.
- BALANCE AND ALIGNMENT: The ballet bun helps to center your balance. Having your neck visible allows the teacher to correct your alignment by making sure your neck, shoulder and back are placed correctly.
- HELPS THE TEACHER: If everyone in the room matches perfectly, it is easier to pick out exactly where corrections are needed and who needs them. A shoulder or elbow in the wrong place, the head placement not being correct, or even trying to figure out who is turning the wrong direction can be disorienting if everyone’s hair, clothing, and accessories are different. This is important because it helps implement proper technique.
- BECAUSE THE TEACHER SAID SO: Even if there was no other good reason, your teacher has a rule in her class that needs to be followed. If you respect your child’s teacher, your child will see that respect, and it will transfer to them. Our program’s overall atmosphere will remain friendly, professional, and respectful.
Nov 22-26: * THANKSGIVING BREAK!*
There will be no classes for Thanksgiving Break beginning Tues, Nov 22nd at 4 pm through Saturday, Nov 26th. (We will hold morning classes on the 22nd!)
HOLIDAY PERFORMANCE: “CHRISTMAS COOKIE SOCIAL” DEC 17, 2022 @ WEST MURRAY STUDIO
Our in-studio Christmas Cookie Social offers students a low-key, fun, and simple performance that allows them to get time in front of an audience to help them become more comfortable performing! Participation includes a cookie (of course), and a simple costume accessory rental (skirt, tutu, hat, etc.) given to dancers when they arrive. Stars dancers will wear their class uniform as their base costume. Preschool/Pre-K dancers need a black leotard for their base costume.
- Participation is $30 and families will sign up online for a show time.
- Free admission for up to 2 spectators per participant.
- Tumbling classes, Tiny Tots, and Diaper Dancers do not participate in the Holiday Performance.
Register today by logging into the parent portal selecting enroll in a class, picking the Workshop/Special Event season, clicking forward to December 17th, and selecting a time slot for your child’s age and genre. From there follow the prompts and make sure to continue all the way through the checkout page to finalize your event registration.
Find your class on the list below to know what time slot to sign up for! Hope to see you at the Christmas Cookie Social!
CHRISTMAS PAJAMAS AND BOOKS CHARITY PROJECT
Although we are not going to be performing in our annual Dance for Life Benefit Concert, we are still going to be collecting PJ’s to donate to those in need of a comfy new pair of jammies this holiday. Get your dancer involved by watching for PJ’s at a good price. All the collected proceeds and PJ/books will be donated here in Utah. More information to come!
Start bringing in your donations this month! Look for the donation box in our front lobbies. Help us beat last year’s total of 1701 pajamas and 1479 books!
We’ve opened our Scholastic book program to ALL our dance families for our Christmas project. Scholastic is an amazing resource with GREAT books at a GREAT price!! You can order $1 books and they will be shipped right to the studio. Visit Scholastic Books HERE and take advantage of this convenient way to donate to our book drive. Online orders are due by Friday, November 18th.
FOR PARENTS OF SCHOOL-AGED TUMBLING STUDENTS| Wall Sit-Back/Bridge
We want you to join us in our monthly strength and stretch challenge! Each month we have a new challenge we are working on. You can print it out and track your progress at home. In the last week of the month, we will “test” our students in class and see if they can meet the goals for their age!
CLICK HERE for this Month’s Challenge
FOR PARENTS OF PRESCHOOL DANCERS
We are excited to have a new section each month just for preschool dancers! This month our theme is “E I E I O“. We will be singing and dancing to fun barn animal songs while working on our routine for the holiday show. We encourage you to get involved and have them practice their skills at home! This month we are focusing on marching and port de bra arms!
HIP HOP CLASSES- SHOE POLICY
With winter weather approaching, we must remind you that we CANNOT have wet, salty, muddy shoes on our dance floor. Please carry your hip-hop shoes into the studio and change into them before you enter the classroom. You will be asked to dance with no shoes if you don’t have a dry pair! Thank you!
We have a calendar on the website! Please refer to it for Holiday closures and studio events. If you use Google Calendar, you can copy studio events directly into your calendar by clicking on the “add google calendar” in the bottom right corner of the calendar. https://studio56dance.com/portal/
Stay up to date on current events! Reminder texts are sent out for closures and special events. Please make sure the primary phone number listed on your account is one that can receive texts.
ONLINE PARENT PORTAL
The account you created online can be updated at any time. Log in on the website to update contact and billing information, register for new classes, and make payments. You can also reset your password at any time. https://studio56dance.com/portal/